We start off every day with a company formation (in this case, six platoons of 55ish) around 5:30 AM and then go into the classroom and fill out paper work or take classes…literally all day. On Wednesday we didn’t leave until 5:30 PM. That was arguably the most un-motivating thing I have ever done. But zero week did hold some motivating events. Thursday we had swim qualification. Combat Water Survival (CWS) is something the Corps has all marines qualified in, to some level. All officers have to be qualified at least CWS 2 (CWS 4 being the easiest to achieve; there are four levels below CWS 1 that few will ever attain). It’s a progressive program through out the morning that qualified us for each level one by one (so at 9am I was CWS 4, 10 AM CWS 3, etc.). For the CWS 4. we had to jump from 15 feet into the water in full uniform and tread water for 4 min. it’s not hard at all because they teach you how to use your uniform to keep you afloat. There are several different techniques, but I opted to take my pants off, tie the ankles together and blow into the waistband to inflate them. Once you have them inflated you put it around your neck like a life jacket. It was awesome, and so easy! Once I did that I just floated there for the whole time. In all honesty it was kind of hard to put my pants back on, but it was worth it. For CWS 2 we had to jump in the water with flak jacket (heavy vest w/ bullet resistant plates) pack (30lbs), weapon (M16A2), Kevlar helmet, and full uniform (boots/camies) from a ten foot platform. Once in the water we had to swim the length of the pool. Then you have to navigate a course through the pool using certain techniques they teach you, and lastly we have to drag a “casualty” across the pool without drowning either one of you (see the progression of difficulty from 4-2?). It’s not really that hard but it does wear you out. It’s a good workout I guess. And surprisingly all that gear does not weigh you down like you might think. The pack actually helps you float-all you have to do is pretend you’re sitting in one of those “sitting down bikes” peddling (literally peddling your feet) and pushing water away from you with your arms (arms together in front of you, then push out). Even though you’re “kicking” and you’d think you should go backwards, you move forward. It’s strange. I hope that’s clear. Swim qual was also good for morale. Being Marines, most everyone wants to be the alpha male or at least look like a bad ass (guilty as charged). That means walking around looking mean and not talking to people for a few days. Events like this generally open the door for conversation, meeting people and letting your guard down as most have proven that they are up to the XYZ task. Regardless, the dynamic has been different since. This week should prove to be the same only we start seeing more doctors. This Thursday will be critical for some people on the fence for Alpha Company. because the PFT is the event that has the most weight in deciding if you pick up on Friday or not. I am confident I’ll be fine, so I am planning for a long day as the training cycle (called the Period of Instruction-POI) officially begins. We will be moving rooms and getting our gear squared away to "hit the ground running" Monday morning. (Jim, where did that originate?!)
What you have just read is only a depiction of Zero Week…it’s not typical of my everyday for the next six months. As the time goes on and we get in to more classes / hands on training and ill have much more interesting things to be writing about. I am looking forward to sharing good stories from the “field” and perhaps some pictures. *My thoughts are a bit scattered right now, but as time goes on and we have a more definitive schedule of events my mind will be more focused and my writing will improve.

haha re. floating with your pants off! i feel like that's a bad idea in an ocean or some other non-temperature-controlled body of water though...
ReplyDeleteglad you set this up, looking fwd to more :)
xxxxx
Reminds me of my first week at Cap One in Richmond. Except not at all. Keep it comin' bro!
ReplyDeleteI learned how to make a flotation device out of my pants in my gym class in high school... since I did it 5 years ago, I'm pretty sure I technically outrank you.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to read more!
I learned to tie my jeans into a floatation device also...does that make me a marine CWS 4...hot damn that is one credit I intend to put on my acting resume! Brad, you amaze me and while that first week may be mostly classes , what you are doing takes one hell of a bad a--, so you can walk around with that attitude...you earned it. Miss you! -Jacqueline
ReplyDeleteBrad - wow! From the sounds of it, those water events should be part of the summer olympics. I think you'd give Michael Phelps a run for his money :) I pretty much failed the swim unit in high school, so unlike my sisters, I cannot brag about my water skills. I nearly strangled myself with my water logged, 20lb saturated jeans.
ReplyDeleteAlso, as one writer to another, you are very eloquent with words. I really enjoyed reading and look forward to more updates. Keep 'em comin'!
Ashley
Hey Brad, The origin of the term, "hit the ground running," is disputed. It may come from WWII troops dropped into a combat zone, from stowaways jumping off a freight train as it nears the station, or from Pony Express riders avoiding delay when they changed mounts. Maybe your blog will start the "floating with your pants off" saying. - Take it easy, Jim
ReplyDeleteAwesome, Brado! I am looking forward to reading more...don't do what I did on SAS and write amazingly descriptive blogs up until vietnam and then just sleep the rest of the voyage..ya know what i mean! keep em coming and congrats :-)
ReplyDelete